Six important agreements were exchanged on Tuesday between the Republic of Maldives and the Republic of India, demonstrating a pivotal point of progress in the two countries’ bilateral relationship.
The ceremony where the agreements were exchanged took place at the Hyderabad House in New Delhi, India. H.E. President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih and the Prime Minister of India, H.E. Narendra Modi, presided over the ceremony.
The agreements exchanged today are:
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Capacity Building and Training of Members of Local Councils and Women Development Committee and Staff of Local Government Authority, between the Local Government Authority of the Maldives and the Ministry of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj of India. The purpose of this MoU is to improve the technical competence and develop the skills of local council members, women's development committees, and other staff in relevant areas of local governance.
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for cooperation in the area of cyber security was signed between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Maldives and the Indian Ministry of Railways, Communications and Electronics and Information Technology. This MoU aims to promote closer co-operation and the exchange of information pertaining to cyber security in accordance with relevant domestic laws, rules, and regulations. It is based on equality, reciprocity, and mutual benefit between the Maldives and India.
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Collaboration in potential fishing zone forecast capacity building, between the Ministry of Economic Development of the Maldives and the Indian Ministry of Earth Sciences.
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on cooperation in the field of disaster management, between the Ministry of Finance of the Maldives and the High Commission of India to Maldives, that aims to strengthen efforts in the field of crisis management between the two countries.
- An agreement between EXIM Bank of India and Ministry of Finance, Maldives, for Police Infrastructure.
- Letter of Intent on Buyer’s Credit funding approval of USD 119 million for additional 2,000 social housing units to be constructed in Hulhumalé, between the Ministry of Finance of the Maldives and the Export-Import Bank (Exim Bank) of India.