17 November 2013
- Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom swears in as President, and Dr. Mohamed Jameel Ahmed swears in as Vice President of the Maldives. “I will always remind myself that I am the President of all Maldivians”, says President Yameen in his inaugural address.
- President appoints Colonel (Retired) Mohamed Nazim as the Minister of Defence and National Security, Mr. Abdulla Jihad as the Minister of Finance and Treasury, Ms. Dhunya Maumoon as the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Ahmed Adheeb Abdul Ghafoor as the Minister of Tourism, and Mr. Ameen Ibrahim as the Minister of Transport and Communication .
19 November 2013
- President appoints Dr. Mohamed Shaheem Ali Saeed as the Minister of Islamic Affairs, Mr. Umar Naseer as the Minister of Home Affairs, Dr. Mohamed Shainee as the Minister of Fisheries and Agriculture, Mr. Mohamed Saeed as the Minister of Economic Development, Dr. Mohamed Muizzu as the Minister of Housing and Infrastructure, and Mr. Thoriq Ibrahim as the Minister of Environment and Energy.
- The President also appoints Mr. Ahmed Mohamed as the Commissioner General of Customs, Mr. Hussain Waheed as the Commissioner of Police, and Mr. Mohamed Hussain Shareef as the Minister at the President’s Office.
21 November 2013
- President appoints Uz. Mohamed Anil as the Attorney General, Dr. Aishath Shiham as the Minister of Education, Dr. Mariyam Shakeela as the Minister of Health and Gender, and Mr. Mohamed Maleeh Jamal as the Minister of Youth and Sports.
- The President also appoints Mr. Abdulla Ameen as the Minister at the President’s Office.
8 December 2013
- President ratifies Anti-Human Trafficking Bill.
11 December 2013
- The Social Council decides to introduce compulsory one-year stint, for nurses and MBBS doctors trained under Government scholarship, in any health Centre assigned by the Ministry of Health and Gender. The decision was made to address the shortage of doctors and nurses in the islands.
12 December 2013
- The President forms Anti-Trafficking Steering Committee.
16 December 2013
- The Social Council decides to establish a child support trust account, in which funds for child support is deposited and made easily available for mothers after the parents’ divorce.
19 December 2013
- Recognizing the difficulties ferry commuters face due to lack of reasonable shelters to protect from sun and wind, the President’s Office instructs the relevant line offices to build shelters in the Hulhule’ ferry service area of North Male’ Harbour.
21 December 2013
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom inaugurates the Seventh Conference of SAARC Speakers and Parliamentarians.
23 December 2013
- President ratifies Anti-Torture Bill 2013, and Prisons and Parole Bill.
24 December 2013
- President reconstitutes the Board of National Drug Agency.
1 January 2014
- President and First Lady make state visit to India.
2 January 2014
- Maldives and India sign three important agreements: MoU on the cooperation in the field of health; the exchange of letters on extending the MoU on manpower requirements of IGMH, and the MoA for allotment of plot to the High Commission of Maldives in Delhi.
9 January 2014
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom reconstitutes the Small and Medium Enterprises Council.
11 January 2014
- Government announces that Aasandha would be changed to an unlimited insurance scheme, starting January 2014.
12 January 2014
- President ratifies the Right to Information Act, the Social Protection Act, and the Third Amendment to “Maldives Employment Act”.
20 January 2014
- President launches the Foreign Policy of Maldives, which focuses on enhancing national sovereignty and protecting the Islamic identity of the country.
22 January 2014
- Three important agreements are signed between the Governments of Maldives and Sri Lanka, as part of President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom’s visit to Sri Lanka: MoU on combating Transnational Crime and Developing Police Cooperation between Sri Lanka and the Maldives, MoU for Vocational Training and Skills Development between Sri Lanka and the Maldives, and the MoU on Sports Cooperation between Sri Lanka and Maldives.
6 February 2014
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom ratifies the Fourth Amendment to the “Maldives Tourism Act”, the Fifth Amendment to the “Maldives Tourism Act”, and the First Amendment to the “Goods and Services Tax Act”.
- President decides for the Government to provide study allowances equivalent to their salaries, for Government employees pursuing higher education courses.
10 February 2014
- Vice President officially inaugurates Arabic language teaching in Maldivian Schools.
16 February 2014
- The Male’-Vilingili futsal pitch is officially inaugurated.
17 February 2014
- Vice President launches Government’s Social Housing Scheme, Gedhoruverikan.
20 February 2014
- President Yameen calls for SAARC reform and deeper regional economic integration and trade relations, at the Inauguration of the Thirty-Fifth Session of the SAARC Council of Ministers
- Vice President inaugurates Hanimaadhoo Sewerage Project
21 February 2014
- President Yameen states the main goals set for tourism development, for this Government’s 5 year term; namely, developing 50 new resort properties, introducing vertical tourism, positioning Maldives as a vacation home, developing live-aboard marina infrastructure, developing medical tourism with world class facilities, and introducing educational tourism.
23 February 2014
- President Yameen launches the Sports Arena Project, as part of the Government’s 100-day roadmap. “Youth hold the key to shaping the country’s destiny”, says the President.
24 February 2014
- First Lady inaugurates the Early Intervention Centre of Imaaduddin School, as part of the nationwide programme being conducted by the National Institute of Education.
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom launches the Government’s new health insurance scheme, “Husnuvaa Aasandha”- health insurance for all without a ceiling protection limit. The scheme is part of the Government’s key electoral pledges to provide comprehensive medicare for a healthy population.
25 February 2014
- Government celebrates achievements of its First 100 Days.
27 February 2014
- President Yameen announces the Government’s plans to provide a thousand higher education opportunities, of which 500 are local courses, and the other 500 overseas courses.
3 March 2014
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom delivers his Presidential Address for 2014. Citing that, presently, there are unprecedented opportunities to attract investment capital to the Maldives, the President appeals to the People’s Majlis, to extend their firm support towards the Government’s ongoing endeavours at attracting necessary investment capital financing for key development projects in the Maldives.
6 March 2014
- Vice President Dr. Mohamed Jameel Ahmed launches the Government’s Legislative Agenda for the coming 5 years, and the Strategic Plan of the Attorney General’s Office.
13 March 2014
- Vice President officially opens the teachers’ housing units, Edhuru Hiyaa.
16 March 2014
- President inaugurates the land reclamation project in Dhaalu Meedhoo.
17 March 2014
- Vice President inaugurates Kaafu Guraidhoo harbour construction project, and the harbor reconstruction project of Gulhi Island of Male’ Atoll
20 March 2014
- President requests Maldives Transport and Contracting Company (MTCC), to provide free ferry services for students travelling in uniform between Male’ and Hulhumale.
- President announces plans to grant a presidential pardon for youth offenders, excluding those convicted of the biggest criminal offences.
- Vice President announces the establishment of a Quranic Centre in Fuvahmulah, to teach Quran and Islamic studies.
21 March 2014
- President inaugurates the Coast Guard Harbour and mosque, at the north Thilafalhu.
22 March 2014
- President votes in the Parliamentary Elections 2014.
28 March 2014
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom announces that application forms for fishermen’s insurance scheme will be issued starting 1st April 2014.
1 April 2014
- President grants pardon to 169 offenders serving criminal sentences. The pardon was issued under Article 29 of the Clemency Act.
2 April 2014
- The President lays foundation for 3000 housing units and office complex to be constructed in Hulhumale.
13 April 2014
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom ratifies the Penal Code Bill.
14 April 2014
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom appeals to all Maldivian citizens and State institutions to fully adhere to the “National Language (Priority) Act”, at the function held to mark Dhivehi Language Day.
14 – 15 April 2014
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom makes a state visit to Japan on the invitation of Prime Minister Shinzō Abe of Japan
18 April 2014
- Vice President Dr. Mohamed Jameel Ahmed announces that the Kulliyyathul Dhiraasathil Islamiyya (College of Islamic Studies) would soon be established as an Islamic University.
20 April 2014
- President appoints Dr. Azeema Adam as MMA Governor.
21 April 2014
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom inaugurates the land reclamation project in Baa Eydhafushi.
25 April 2014
- President Yameen inaugurates Maldives Investment Forum in Singapore.
28 April 2014
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom establishes the National Bureau of Statistics, under the administration of the Ministry of Finance and Treasury.
11 May 2014
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom inaugurates the land reclamation project of Kaafu Thulusdhoo.
13 May 2014
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom ratifies the Bill on Sexual Abuse and Harassment, and the Bill on Sexual Offences.
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom ratified the “Sole Proprietorship” Bill, “Business Registration” Bill.
15 May 2014
- “The Government’s highest priority was to give real empowerment for women, and to empower women economically and financially”, says President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom, at the official function held to mark this year’s International Women’s Day.
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom officially opens the National Football Stadium, which was previously the Galolhu Official Stadium.
17 May 2014
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom appeals for the cooperation of educated Maldivian youth, to steer the country towards the right direction, at the O’Level Top Achievers Awards 2013, the awarding ceremony of the highest achievers of the 2013 Secondary Examinations.
26 May 2014
- President Yameen attends the Inauguration of Indian Prime Minister- Narendra Modi.
29 May 2014
- Vice President Dr. Mohamed Jameel Ahmed inaugurates Sea-Ambulance services in the Maldives.
29 May 2014
- Vice President Inaugurates 29th National Quran Competition.
5 June 2014
- The President calls for timely global action in addressing climate change, in his message on the occasion of World Environment Day 2014.
16 June 2014
- Vice President Dr. Mohamed Jameel Ahmed presents the “Green Leaf” Award to those who have delivered outstanding services to protecting and preserving the environment.
24 June 2014
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom launches Thumburi – the Integrated Resort Project, the first initiative under the Government’s Guesthouse Island Project.
25 June 2014
- The Cabinet finalizes the guidelines through which uninhabited islands will be leased for fisheries and agricultural purposes.
- President Mahinda Rajapaksa and First Lady Shiranthi Rajapaksa of Sri Lanka arrived in the Maldives on a State Visit, at the invitation of President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom.
1 July 2014
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom establishes the Ministry of Law and Gender to oversee all government functions related to families, children, women, people with special needs, and human rights.
10 July 2014
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom holds discussions with the National Security Council on issues of peace and security.
13 July 2014
- The President establishes the Information Commissioner’s Office as an independent body, with the authority to autonomously communicate, as well as receive and lodge legal complaints.
22 July 2014
- President appoints Uz. Muhthaz Muhusin as the Prosecutor General.
23 July 2014
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom ratifies Act Number 7/90 (the establishment of the wages of the Members of Majlis and the Members of the Special Majlis Act).
26 July 2014
- In his address to the nation on the occasion of the 49th Independence Day of Maldives, President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom appeals to the Maldivian public, members of political parties, and all politicians to prioritize national harmony, over political interests. He also expresses assurance that all endeavours of the Government to promote socioeconomic development and raise the living standards of the people will, in no way, jeopardize or threaten the independence and sovereignty of the Maldives.
10 August 2014
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom presents award to the Best Student Athlete for 2013, at the School Colours Award 2013 ceremony. The award was introduced by the Ministry of Education, in recognition of students’ high achievement in sporting activities.
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom and Vice President Dr. Mohamed Jameel Ahmed, donate one month’s sum of their salary, to the Help Gaza fund, a local initiative to raise funds for those affected by Israeli aggression in Gaza, Palestine.
14 – 20 August 2014
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom, accompanied by key ministers of the Cabinet, visits China to attend the opening ceremony of the 2nd Youth Olympics Games.
31 August 2014
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom officially inaugurates the harbour project of Alifu Dhaalu Dhan’gethi.
1 September 2014
- President ratifies Special Economic Zone Bill.
4 September 2014
- President establishes the Board of Investments, to see the important issues relating to the Special Economic Zones, including the granting and nullification of authority to establish these Zones.
10 September 2014
- President Yameen inaugurates Feydhoo Road Construction Project.
11 September 2014
- First Lady Madam Fathimath Ibrahim gifts twenty laptops to Seenu Feydhoo School teachers.
14-16 September 2014
- The President of the People’s Republic of China, H.E. Xi Jinping and First Lady, Madam Peng Liyuan make a visit to the Maldives at the invitation of President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom.
19 – 22 September 2014
- President conducts official visits to Sri Lanka and Singapore.
24 September 2014
- President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom states that the Government will prioritize the facilitation of job opportunities for those individuals with special needs who wish to seek employment. The President made this comment while speaking at the ceremony held to confer the Disability Award 2014 to individuals and organizations working to promote the rights of those with special needs.
25 September 2014
- The President inaugurates the distribution of power generators to the atolls, under the Government’s scheme to ensure round the clock electricity to all inhabited islands.
- Vice President Dr. Mohamed Jameel Ahmed launches the special services and programmes of the Ministry of Law and Gender.
14 October 2014
- President attends the Oath Taking Ceremony of the Graduates of the 60th Basic Training Course of MNDF
4 November 2014
- President Yameen inaugurates Hoarafushi Sewerage Project
11 November 2014
- President Yameen presents National Awards for Special Achievement, National Award of Honours and the National Award of Recognition at the official function held at Dharubaaruge, to mark this year’s Republic Day.